Saturday, February 14, 2009

Old Man: Pipes and Tobacco

There is perhaps not one thing that makes me seem more like an old man than my pipe smoking hobby. I started my freshman year of college (two and a half years ago), interestingly because of the influence of my Bible study group buddies. I grew up in South Florida, which doesn't count at all as the south, and coming to Clemson, SC was sort of a shock at first. I still get shocks every once in a while, but seeing all these young men smoking pipes was something I didn't expect (especially in a Reformed Presbyterian group, although I have come to see it differently). But I got to thinking about it, and the more I thought, the cooler it seemed. I had this image of cool (mostly old) men writing poetry, fiction, and doing deep thinking while smoking pipes. See the picture of W. Faulkner a few posts back to see what I mean. Being 3/4 an English major, I am a big sucker for that kind of stuff, so I checked it out. I fell into it pretty deep. I now smoke once or twice a week, but last year it was 5-7 times a week. I don't only enjoy pipes, but smoke the occasional cigar, and do like nasal snuff. I don't smoke cigarettes, because that's what I did in ninth grade.

I could write for weeks on this stuff, but I actually already did, on the message board, The Curriculum. See this thread for my nearly three pages of rambling.

Conor
Post a Comment