Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Old Man: Roasting Coffee

This isn't really an old man thing I guess. I wasn't really sure what to label this one as.

Anyways, I started roasting my own coffee beans over the summer. I roast them in a Whirley Pop popcorn popper, modified with a thermometer to show how hot it is.




These are the green coffee beans. I buy from Sweet Maria's (http://sweetmarias.com/) Green beans are much cheaper than anything you would buy from a store.



Here are the beans when they first go in the roaster. You turn the handle so that the beans don't get scorched on one side.



The beans get darker as the roast goes on.



After the beans are roasted, they are put in a colander to separate the beans from the chaff. Chaff is the skin of the beans which comes off during the roast.


Throw them in a few mason jars and wait a few days for the CO2 to dissipate, throw 'em in the grinder and enjoy in a french press.




I'm a bit of a coffee snob. I will say that freshly roasted coffee tastes absolutely nothing like anything you buy in a store or in a coffee shop where they don't roast on-site. All that stuff is hopelessly stale by the time it gets to you. Coffee goes stale after two weeks. The best store bought coffee I've found is Dunkin' Doughnuts, which tastes like roasting coffee smells.

Anyways, the whole rig cost me around $50 (roaster and seven pounds of green beans). I'm just about to run out and should order some more soon.

Conor
Post a Comment