Thursday, March 26, 2009

Old Man: Woody Guthrie



A while ago, I did a post about some of my more "out-there" musical interests. Most of these have American folk music as their background or base. It is no accident that I like these bands, because I have a great love of traditional American folk music (TAFM from here on out). It started with Bob Dylan, who is admittedly not a great example of TAFM, except for some of his earlier stuff, but he did lead me to some great older examples of TAFM (don't get me wrong, I still love Bob Dylan).

One example is Woody Guthrie. I think his music and his musical legacy (hundreds of songs written!). Here are some pictures to tell another side of his story.










Maybe my favorite of the bunch.



Another contender for favorite: the look on his face is pure joy at being able to play his favorite music.








"This song was written in New York City
Of rich man, preacher, and slave
If Jesus was to preach what He preached in Galilee,
They would lay poor Jesus in His grave."

Conor
Post a Comment