Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Young Man: Sartorial Contrivances

Stole the term from ADG I think. Anyways, the other day I was searching the AAAT forum regarding Chipp and Winston tailors, and user Tom Rath (who really only posts at FNB now) was writing about how he met Paul Winston to discuss a suit. He said the man came out in a beat-to-hell button-down, with his tie pinned to his shirt with a safety pin (probably a collar pin). I recalled seeing this at SF poster LabelKing's blog. I'm home and don't have to work tonight like I thought so I decided to try it out. I like it, but it is somewhat of a pain (but like pinning the collar, it's worth it I think).



Here is a sample outfit (forgive the rather uninspired choices: the tie was chosen because I don't wear it often, and the jacket is one of my best fitting ones so I threw 'em on). When the jacket is buttoned, no-one suspects anything. When it is unbuttoned, however:




You can see the pin (with ADG's collar pin). The tie looks pretty short, but the jeans are lower-rise so it makes it look shorter. And it was a hasty knot.

Take it or leave it, but I might use it every once it a while to mix things up.

Conor
Post a Comment