Monday, July 11, 2011

Young Man: Running

I've always wanted to be a runner. In high-school I was really interested in the Army (even applied for West Point). It obviously didn't pan out, but it got me running. My dad and I would get up at 5 am and run before work and school. The only problem is that I didn't like actually doing it. I want to have fun running. I know it's always hard, but I didn't like it. And when I tried up here, I definitely didn't like it (hills, innit).

Recently my parents (both in their fifties) each ran a half marathon, and my mom did a triathlon on Mother's Day. They're pretty hardcore. Very inspiring. My mom ran them both in her new Vibram Five Fingers. They're basically shoes that allow you to run like you're barefoot (check out this site if you want to learn about barefoot running), but with the protection of Vibram soles (thin so you can feel the ground, but thick enough so that you won't get hurt too bad on pebbles and such). She got hers for Christmas and they really interested me, so I looked into them and got a pair of my own.


(my essential running gear: Vibram KSO's, and an old Bass Pro Shop hat. Also, an iPod [no viz])


I started running about a mile at a time. Probably a bad idea. You see, running barefoot uses muscles that normal running shoes don't, so you need to build up to it. Also, I've never been able to run very far or for very long.

Recently I started doing a Couch to 5k program. I highly recommend it if you want to get into running but haven't done much in the past or need to build up. I'm on week three and looking forward to progressing. If you do it, check out the podcasts that people have made that tell you the intervals to run and walk during (much easier than checking your watch - it also lets you listen to music).

Don't worry though, you won't see me walking around town in my toe shoes; they are strictly for working out right now (they also do great for kettlebell stuff, if you're into it). Go for a run. It's good for you.

Conor
Post a Comment