Thursday, November 17, 2011

Young Man/Old Man: Stop SOPA

I generally don't want to get into politics here, but I think this is a pretty important issue for this blog (and every other blog), so I'll keep it to that and try and keep specific views out of it.

SOPA is a bill in the House that is supposedly designed to stop piracy (videos, music, etc.). I have no problem with that goal. The way it will (or could) be carried out is the problem. The bill would allow a corporation to shut down website, and even whole domains, for even one link to pirated material. This means that Blogger, Wordpress, Tumblr, Twitter, Google (can't even fathom that), any forum you can think of, and many other could be shut down.

So please, if you like reading this blog, have a blog and like writing that one, or just like freedom of press, check out this form letter and send it to your reps, or sign one of the many petitions out there.

Again, I don't like talking politics here, but I don't think this is really a political issue. There are people of every conceivable political belief that would be harmed by this act.


Just think, if this thing passes, you'll have to get YM/OM as a monthly handwritten newsletter, and trust me, no one will be able to read my handwriting.

Conor
Post a Comment