Sunday, February 26, 2012

Music

As promised, a lot of my posts will be about music. I was thinking of doing music in general as my first post. It scared the heck out of me. So I'm going to focus on one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite bands.

In a Sweater Poorly Knit - mewithoutYou




If I'm a crown without a King, 
if I'm a broken, open seed,
If I come without a thing, 
I come with all I need


Quote starts at 2:07, though I highly recommend you watch the whole clip. I will hopefully discuss mewithoutYou in more depth in another post, including their musical style, but for now I'd like to just talk about this quote, particularly the last two lines.

I think they talk to the inability of man to approach God; the inability of man to have any kind of introductory part in the salvation act (the T in TULIP - totally depraved). As Come Ye Sinners puts it:

The only fitness He requireth
Is to feel your need of Him
This He gives you

They could also be taken as a statement on the worth of any works of man. Our works (and this includes worship) have no value in and of themselves. (This next part might be wrong, please correct me if it is wrong). God accepts our worship - even though it is worthless. It brings to mind Hosea 6:6 "For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings," which Jesus quotes to the Pharisees. The feeling behind the worship (or the sacrifice at that time) more worthy than the actual worship. I don't know. Maybe not.

I'd like to talk about the first two lines too. "If I'm a crown without a King"

I think that's a great way to talk of fallen man. What is a crown designed to do? Bring glory and honor to the one who wears it.  Humans were made to glorify God, and when we don't do that we are not fulfilling our purpose. We are a crown without a King when we are not using all our faculties to glorify God (and I say faculties as opposed to talents, because we should glorify God even in things that we're not good at).

And "If I'm a broken, open seed"

In order for a seed to take root and grow into whatever it will be, the seed (or "old man" if you will allow it) has to break apart and open itself.

I think these four lines together show great truths about life, but also are a great timeline of conversion.

Fallen State - Crown without a King
State of Conversion - Broken open seed
State of Worship - Come without a thing


If you've never listened to mewithoutYou, I'd recommend them. Their music genre definitely will not appeal to everyone. It's more folk now than post-hardcore (what their first few albums were), but their lyrics are astounding. Aaron (lead singer and accordion player) is also a genuinely nice guy (I met and talked to him after a show a few years ago) and really loves and is dedicated to what he does.


Conor
Post a Comment