Saturday, July 28, 2012

Young Man: Tumblr

(take this post with a grain of salt. I won't delete or edit it massively, but it comes on way stronger than I actually feel)

Tumblr is an interesting place (for some good analysis, read John's blog a lot).

I'm going to talk about Tumblr here, in general terms, but I suppose everyone's dashboard is different. Mine doesn't look like yours (if you have one). But this is my blog, so we're talking about my dashboard here.

I follow a lot of #menswear stuff. It isn't really what I'm into now (it's Italian more than Ivy, which is what I dig), and I followed most of them when they were on the last trend of workwear. Now they're all on "sexysex" and polish. I dig wrinkled oxfords and suits, shoes I haven't polished in way too long, and ties where the silk has pulled from my ignored neck stubble.

When I actually take the time to look through more than five or six pages of my dashboard, I get the feeling that I'm reading Lamentations Ecclesiastes (thanks, thisfits). Sure, there are some nice looks, and there's always something to differentiate it from the last one, but it gets old really fast. And it's not that it merely gets old. It's worse. It's hard to put into words, but I guess it's an oppressive sameness. I feel dumber afterward.

Because of this, I look through Tumblr once a week at most. That's probably why mine sucks (by the community standard).

John wrote this on his post about super awesome blogspots: "This introspective labeling will create you a community but close your mind."

I think that's a great insight. What we have now is people with huge tumblr blogs selling their vision of style to people (literally selling, since most of them have clothing lines nowadays), and people somehow equate big blog stats with flawless style and taste, and they just are not the same.

LAS is a (blogging) visionary because got every joe with a blog to link to their post on his site. Now he sells his vision of style at giant prices, and people buy it. But blogging vision does not (and should not) equal style vision. There are great bloggers with terrible style, and terrible bloggers with great style, and some with neither (what, what).

I guess this post could be seen as whining because my blogs are small time in this community. It's strange to say, since I still feel young, but YM/OM is truly an old man. I had a heyday, a year or two ago, and now I think I'm washed up. I'm OK with that. I don't have to worry about being "true to my readers." Who gives a crap what I have to say? So I'll just talk about that which I am thinking. Which usually doesn't interest anyone other than myself.

It's OK. I like to write. I also like to be acknowledged, but I'm getting better with that. I might even delete my stats programs. I waste way too much time looking at bar graphs for an English teacher.

Conor

(This post should is not an inditement of all tumblr blogs. There are some really terrific blogs I follow, and they are what keep me coming back to that black and white box. So thanks to all of you good guys)
Post a Comment