Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Doug Wilson/Heavy Metal: Formidable Children

I read a great article by Douglas Wilson yesterday, on raising children that are formidable spiritual warfare. I haven't thought much about this, and it is something I do struggle with. I mean, come on. Right now we only have a daughter, and she is unanimously the cutest ever. People who have kids her age tell us she's the cutest baby they've ever seen.

But when I think of Ciahna in the future, as a young woman, with all of the competing ideologies in the world, many of which I have fallen for in the past, I strongly desire to see her become formidable. Not just in knowledge, though certainly in that. But also in fighting for the oppressed, for the widows and orphans, for those who need the hope of Christ.

When I read the article, I couldn't help but think of the Project 86 song "Fall, Goliath, Fall" (which I have taken as both spiritual and political statement). I can't imagine Mr. Wilson would be flattered by the comparison of one of his articles to heavy metal, but it works for me.



Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate (Psalm 127:3–5).


Thanks to Reforming Fatherhood for the tip on the article.



Post a Comment