Thursday, June 13, 2013

CS Lewis and Perelandra

As you could tell from the last few quotation posts, I've been going through Perelandra. It was a great book.

This was one of those books where something which has happened maybe a half a dozen times before happened. It happened with The Road, with Life of Pi, and with parts of A Song of Ice and Fire. It took me a few days to really get into it - maybe the first fifty or so pages.

Then I was going to read a little in bed. Once I got to the part where Satan - in Weston's body - was tempting Eve II, I couldn't put it down. I ended up going to bed at three in the morning, having finished the rest of the book.

I will say that, while that bit with the second garden and the second tempting was one of the most gripping and terrifying things I've ever read, the ending part seemed to drag a bit. It was all very good, and it might very well have been my fault, since it was 2:30 AM, but it seemed a little back heavy.

I've started That Hideous Strength, which should be good, but probably not one I'll finish in bed tonight. Three hundred pages to go and all that.
Post a Comment