Thursday, March 6, 2014

Poetic Prayer: Day 1 (Ash Wednesday)


My God, I come, but not full free:
Your grace, O Lord, is pulling me,
is pushing me, and so my God,
please bend my knee, that I, Your son
will pray to You, in Spirit and 
in Truth, in Spirit and in Truth.

Expand my mind, but not before
You simplify my soul. Please make
Your Face my one and only sight.
For, truly, only when I see
all else in light of You will I
then see all else in truth, and not
distorted, sicklied o'er with sin.



I'm going to try and write a poetic prayer for every day of Lent. I've been reading about it a good bit this year, and I'm not convinced to observe it in the Catholic or Orthodox fashion, I am convinced to try and focus more on being intentional about prayer, especially connecting my gifts/talents/hobbies with prayer. Hopefully this season of intentionality will transfer to the rest of the year, and not just Lent.

I've also been inspired by Christina Rossetti's Lenten poetry, and will try to follow her example.

Each day's poem will be written in some set verse form (this first example is iambic tetrameter, for example).

I will try and update here with a few examples, but I know myself well enough to know that I won't post all 40 poems, in all 40 days. In fact, as this was yesterday's poem (Ash Wednesday), I'm already behind. 

No matter. May God use my fumbling words to bring His Son more glory.

Conor
Post a Comment